Mt. Elbrus freeride camp, Caucasus, Russia (April 2004)
Myself and Toni took part in an expedition to Mt. Elbrus,
Caucasus, Russia in April in a group of 5. The plan was to do some
serious offpiste skiing / boarding. Mt. Elbrus with its height (the
western summit) of 5642m is the heighest mountain in the geographical
10.3.2004 - the travel arrangements are afoot!
We had a quick gettogether and placed our visa applications at the
21.4.2004 - the trip is done!
The journey was most excellent! The weather was sunny and warm and we got
3 straight days of powder skiing. Life couldn't be better.. See pictures
and stories below.
I would like to thank:
Here is a video we shot on Elbrus.
It was put together by Toni.
- the participants: Jukka, Heikki, Samu, Toni, for making the trip
the Most Excellent Adventure (tm) it was
- our hosts/guides Liza, Albert and Sergey from
- the Finnish guys there before us for tips and hints and also for
recommending Liza in the first place
- the weathergods
- my skiing equipment for not failing although I pushed them
- The person who stole King Artturi's gaming machine
- The vodka industry of Russia
- the Good Cat for not fidgeting
- the Drop Dog for doing drops and looking funny
- series of women for taking their clothes off on Elbrus in front of us
Our route of travel; Helsinki-Moscow by train, Moscow-Nalchik by plane,
Nalchik-Terskol (Elbrus) by bus. One-way trip took (including waiting
around in Moscow) around 32 hours.
Story + pictures
1st day & 2nd day
3rd day & 4th day
5th day & 6th day
Journey back home
The page we used for planning